Friday, May 16, 2008

15 years later......

Well, as embarrassing as this is to admit I was quite the little teeny bopper when I was young. I was one of those crazy New Kid on the Block fans. I had it bad - examples: member of the "official" fan club, posters were my wallpaper, would stay up on sleepovers and learn the moves to songs like 'the right stuff', camped out for tickets for the 1st concert with my mom & aunt, went the following year to another, joined the throngs of crazy fans at the hotel they were staying at and got some good up close pics of them and even caught an apple from Donnie as they were pulling away in their tour buses (fyi ~ that apple stayed in my freezer for years!). So you get the picture. Well, I grew up and even threw the apple away. I thought they grew up too......but it seems 15 years later that they have reunited and are at it again. Maybe some of you watched the Today show this morning. They sang & danced - yes, some of their old songs and even tried to use the same moves. Mind you these are men (no longer kids) in their late 30's. As silly as it all seemed I have to tell ya that I felt like I was 13 again. I found myself singing right along without missing a beat! They have held their age fairly well and sounded somewhat decent but the new song still sounds like the old. Lots of la-las, ah-ah's and so on. The funniest was checking out the fans. Talk about loyal......they were all 30 something year old women singing along. We all had our favorites.....mine was Jordan. As I was watching today though I decided that I have the best kid (man) on the block. He lives with me! Looking back I can see how silly it all was and how much I drove my mom crazy. Guess I should start preparing for paybacks with my girls.

10 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Too bad you didn't keep the apple. I'm sure it would be worth a lot to someone on eBay! I'm not surprised that you like them... I listenend to a little older generation since I had older siblings. :)

Gifford Family said...

I listened to them and Tiffany and all those other young groups. I totally know where you are coming from. That is pretty funny that they are still together.

Mandy Burton said...

Oh man Shelley! I can't believe these guys are back at it! And I can't believe that we were actually that obsessed with them. What dorks right? (Psst... want to go to a concert when they tour? It would rock my world!)

Julie said...

hahaha!!! shelley, sweetheart.. i lived in the same room with you and with mandy when those guys were the stuff, and i have to say, you werent completely truthful about how much you loved them... how could you forget the barbie doll of one of the singers? or the new kids on the block SHOELACES!? or maybe the pillowcase? hmm and im pretty sure at this very moment there is still a recording of some kind of interview or concert of them at moms house. hahahahaha i remember when you guys came back from the concerts with those neon green and orange and pink tshirts. wow, i thought i liked nsync.. love you.

Pam said...

Shelley I just hope that Emma and Erin will let you experience what I did when you were growing up.
God did answer my prayers when you had two little girls of your own.
You have fun!!! I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on. I know all about it.
Love,
Mom

Kelly said...

Oh Shelley Kay! You know, I thought I was so grown up when I moved on from Bo Duke to Jordan Knight. He was closer to my age in real life AND he wasn't just acting a part like 'Bo'. He was the real deal! I can't believe we're willing to admit this - and on the internet where everyone can see!

Kimberly said...

I had no idea. . .you're a a whole new person, now. :) It's a good, though. I flipped to the today show, only long enough to catch the local weather, but wondered who was in concert with the biggest crowd ever! I guess old fans never die.

Becky said...

I have to admit that I was NOT a fan. I was probably the only female that wasn't. Kinda like living in the 60's and not loving the Beetles. I still don't get the appeal. It baffles me.

Teresa said...

I was so totally in love with the NKOTB!!

Blacker Blog said...

That is so awesome, and funny! I too was a huge fan (Jordan was also my favorite, but based on the picture I think Joe looks pretty good). I remember thinking that it wouldn't matter if I was an old lady, I would still be excited to meet them someday. Funny!