Wednesday, June 17, 2009

good ole' crawfish boil

Since we were still in Louisiana on Memorial Day we tagged along with my parents to their ward crawfish boil. This was my kiddos first introduction to the southern delicacy. If you aren't familiar with crawdads, they are are boiled live in a large pot with seasoning and other items such as potatoes & corn on the cob. I used to love them growing up but have discovered this year that I haven't really missed them much since moving to Texas. It was a lot of work for a little meat. Still fun though and very much a "social food"...fun to eat with friends. Glad the kids could try it for themselves.

Grandma teaching Seth & Emma the proper way to eat the tail of the crawfish. No headsucking!
Seth was a little weirded out but still ate it.

Emma was just freaked out and thought it was gross.

In the end everyone was a trooper and tried something new and unique to their Louisiana heritage.

The girls!

2 comments:

David said...

Now that is some good southern cookin right there!

Gifford Family said...

I remember the first time I tried crawfish... it wasn't my favorite! Your kids are good sports for trying! :)